If you’re trying to be real good with your eating habits or just swap out the meat, this is a quick raw vegan meal to put together that is full of flavor and a great way to enjoy seasonal veggies! Make an accompanying fresh tomato pico with green onion, cilantro, and cherry tomatoes and slice up a ripe avocado for the perfect toppings.
All you need for the taco filling are soaked sunflower seeds, sundried tomatoes, a dried chipotle pepper (or ground chipotle powder), and some spices. Load up the food processor and pulse until you’ve got the consistency you want. Adjust seasoning to taste and enjoy!
Taco Filling Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon miso paste (or 1 teaspoon salt)
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked about 1 hour then drained (reserve the liquid to use later)
- ½ dried chipotle chili, soaked til soft then drained and diced (or use ½ teaspoon chipotle powder)
- 2 soft Medjool dates, pits removed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup reserved liquid from the sundried tomatoes or chipotle soak water.
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked at least 4 hrs then drained (or soak for 20 minutes in hot water)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Add the first 10 ingredients to your food processor equipped with the S blade and mix until you have a paste consistency. Pulse in the last 3 ingredients, keeping some of the texture chunky. Fill romaine or butter lettuce leaves and top with optional garnishes like salsa, guacamole or sliced avocado.
disclaimer: this post contains some amazon affiliate links. Every purchase provides a small commission that helps keep this blog running so I can continue sharing so many more great recipes with you. All opinions are my own. Rest assured, if I don’t love it, I won’t share it.