I used to think that having a salad every now and then would be enough to detox the rest of the week’s poor choices away. Like going to the gym once and expecting major change after a workout. Well, it’s actually a good thing that it takes time to see change and improvement, because if it didn’t, the same would ring true for the negatives. Like, if one donut could tip the scales what would a whole box do?! Yikes!
So once I figured out that it’s lifestyle that makes for good and bad outcomes, I started making better decisions. And that’s a strategy not just for what to eat, but how to invest time, effort, energy. Look at me getting wiser with age! If only I knew then what I know now, I would have started sooner. But, no time like the present! Live and learn.
What used to be decorative background on a plate, has become center stage as we’ve learned the many nutritional benefits of Kale.
- Powerful anti-inflammatory due to it’s omega-3 to omega-6 ratio
- Keeps you satiated due to it’s high fiber content
- Rich in vitamin C and beta-carotene making it a powerful antioxidant
- Natural detoxifier – helps remove toxins from the body
- Good for eye and heart health
- High in folate (naturally occurring folic acid) – important for women of child bearing age
- Rich in vitamins, minerals — especially vitamin K
Here’s my fresh Kale salad! Just one more way to incorporate this super food ingredient in to your life!
- 1 bunch Lacinto kale
- 1 small yam, finely spiralized or shredded (red or purple)
- 2 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely sliced shallots
- 1 fuji apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped orange wedges
- 2 Tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 Tablespoon Bragg Aminos
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, fresh grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (reduce or omit for less spicy)
Wash and dry the kale and remove the stems. Chop and set aside in a large bowl. Make the dressing by adding all ingredients to a tall cup and using either a hand blender or a whisk to mix well. Add dressing to kale and massage by hand until the salad wilts. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Serve with optional pecans on top for added crunch.
This Kale salad smiled back at me today as I neatly set it on the table for its photo shoot. It said, I’m a superfood and I’m proud of your choices these days! Thanks 😉 Me too.
disclaimer: this post contains some amazon affiliate links. Every purchase provides a small commission that helps keep this blog running so I can continue sharing so many more great recipes with you. All opinions are my own. Rest assured, if I don’t love it, I won’t share it.