Did you know the skin is the largest organ of the body? It takes 20 seconds for your skin to absorb whatever you put on it. That includes body wash, lotions, perfumes, and oil.
You know how onion and garlic can leave a not-so-pleasant aftertaste? Well, that’s how I was feeling about store bought body wash. There seemed to be a lingering, underlying smell to the fragranced body wash gels I was buying.
I tried to research what could be causing it and all I could figure was the chemical concoction of ingredients that kept it from accumulating bacteria, separating, and even for its color, was to blame. There was nothing natural in there.
I figured, if Jessica Alba can make her line of “Honest” skincare and cleaning products, I could customize something for myself too.
It started with body wash and after I found out how easy it was and how much I loved what I made, I ventured to create more products.
Here are the ingredients and benefits of the ingredients in my moisturizing body wash:
- Castile Soap: gentle cleanser, natural, vegan
- Neem Oil: antibacterial & antiseptic, helps reduce redness & inflammation, fights acne, doesn’t clog pores, relieves dryness, boosts collagen production
- Coconut Oil: antibacterial, anti-fungal, excellent skin moisturizer, heals collagen layers of the skin
- Raw Honey: natural antibacterial, anti inflammatory, fights acne, protects against environmental damage, full of antioxidants, natural moisturizer
- Vitamin E oil: antioxidant, prevents formation of wrinkles, boosts collagen production, supports new skin cell growth, healing & moisturizing
- Lavender essential oil: antimicrobial, helps treat acne, healing, can detoxify the skin, firms skin as it boosts circulation
- Tea Tree oil: antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, diminishes scars & age spots on skin, soothes dry skin, eliminates body odor
I love this body wash recipe so much, I often make it for others who are struggling with skin issues like eczema, psoriasis, or just excessive dryness. It’s not greasy and foams and lathers really well.
Healing Honey Body wash recipe
- 1 c unscented Castille Soap
- 3 Tablespoons *Neem Oil
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 c raw honey
- 2 tsp vitamin E oil
- 20 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops Tea Tree Oil
How to: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Pour in to container of choice. Enjoy!
*Neem oil has a mild scent to it. If you’re not a fan, simply reduce the amount or leave it out all together, but increase the coconut oil to compensate.
*Since this recipe does not contain water, it has a shelf life of up to one year.
Bottle this up & keep it in the shower for a moisturizing lather. Follow up with my Aloe Body Lotion to keep skin healthy and radiant!
What body products have you tried making yourself? Do you struggle with skin allergies? How have you incorporated more natural products in to your routine?
disclaimer: this post contains some amazon affiliate links. All opinions are my own 🙂